Saturday, October 29, 2011

Gilad Hekselman

Gilad Hekselman
If you can find it, check out my latest review of Gilad Hekselman's new record, "Hearts Wide Open."  It's my first review for the New York City Jazz Record.  To read it, You have to download a PDF copy of the paper on the website(For December's issue of the Record, I'll be reviewing an Ed Thigpen album.)  

"Hearts Wide Open" is really good.  I recommend you listen to it.  Mr. Hekselman, 28, is a wonderful guitarist, and he's only getting better. 

Last November, I had the chance to interview Mr. Hekselman between sets at the Upstairs Jazz Club in Montreal.  He was playing with bassist Rick Rosato and drummer Ari Hoenig--who both also sat in on the interview.  If you're interested, find my review of the show here and the interview here on Nextbop.  Mr. Hekselman stands out as one of the more quiet, humble, and thoughtful musicians I've interviewed in the past.

Here's a quote from the interview, about jazz in Israel, Mr. Hekselman's homeland.

"So there’s definitely a lot of great education, and I think the emphasis in Israel is on really good things: like a lot of tradition, a lot of 'check out where the music comes from' and stuff, so you know, in that sense, I think it’s great. And also, in the last few years, I feel like things have also started to open up. When I came to New York, I was like a total hard bop-head. You know, I was pretty much…I was still trying to be original, but I was almost only checking out like Art Blakey and the Jazz Messengers and stuff…"

No comments:

Post a Comment