Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Socalled's Sleepover


I recently reviewed "Sleepover," the latest record from Josh Dolgin (who goes by Socalled when he performs), for a Montreal-based online Jewish magazine called Shtetl.  This is officially the first non-jazz record I've reviewed.  It took me a while.  I'm glad I did it, mainly because Josh Dolgin lives in Montreal and it made me feel more connected to the city I live in.

Most of the jazz musicians I see in Montreal are just passing through from New York.  It's always a pleasure to catch them.  But sometimes it can feel discouraging that they're leaving the next day.  So many people want to be in New York.  I often do.  Yet I love Montreal. 

Though I just graduated from McGill, I don't feel any pangs of wanderlust.  I feel like I might want to stay here and try to make a living, for a little while at least.  It's nice for me to know Josh Dolgin can.

Also, here's Josh Dolgin's best music video:

  

No comments:

Post a Comment