Friday, October 29, 2010

The Rick Rosato Quintet

Rick Rosato

Last week I saw the Rick Rosato Quintet perform here in Montreal at Upstairs Jazz Bar & Grill.  Find the review I wrote here.  Please check it out.  It was a delight to see. 

After the show, I interviewed pianist Aaron Parks (who played in the group) in the musicians' room upstairs of Upstairs.  We talked about his projects, his compositions, his influences, New York, Gretchen Parlato, many things.  The interview will be posted soon on Nextbop

But it was sort of interrupted when Peter Schlamb, the vibraphonist in the group, walked in on us.  It didn't matter, though.  Eventually, everyone in the quintet had entered the room to hang out for the maybe excessively long hour and a half break between sets. 

Almost immediately my role was reversed.  Now they were interviewing me, asking me where I'm from, what I study, what I was doing in the room.  We talked for about twenty minutes or so and then I left, wishing them all good luck. 

It's documented.  The digital recorder was still running, and I have been enjoying listening to it, even if it embarrasses me a bit.  Why do I laugh so nervously?

No comments:

Post a Comment