Thursday, October 14, 2010

Jazz Poetry

For the last two months, I have been reading poetry in my free time.  I used to run from it.  But I've realized that good poetry can be very beautiful and refreshing, even if you think you don't understand it.  Throughout the next month or so, I'll try to write one poem a week for this blog.  There is, I believe, a genre called 'jazz poetry,' although it doesn't always have to do with jazz, but the sort of free structures and rhythms often associated with the music.  The poem below is about jazz, but not an example of 'jazz poetry.'  I have no idea what I'm doing, by the way, but I hope you like it.

____________________________________________________________

I Love Jazz

I love jazz because
it makes me feel
so damn cool.

Sometimes I wonder
if I'd have any confidence
without it.

Maybe,
but I'm glad
I'll never know.



No comments:

Post a Comment