Saturday, August 28, 2010

Masabumi Kikuchi

Masabumi Kikuchi
(This is the best, but not the most recent, of a select few pictures of him I could find on Google images.)

I first saw Masabumi Kikuchi--the mysterious septuagenarian pianist from Japan--this summer at the Village Vanguard performing with the Paul Motian Trio 2000 + 2. He offered some of the most bizarrely beautiful piano playing I have ever heard, soloing in the lowest octave of the piano, concocting seemingly random clusters of sound by palming the keys, using the soft pedal as a sort of rhythmic mooring for his feet.

The week before, I saw the Billy Hart Quartet, including another refreshingly bizarre pianist: Ethan Iverson, of The Bad Plus. He was there, sitting at the table behind the piano, staring with stolid curiosity, the night I first encountered Mr. Kikuchi.

Mr. Kikuchi has a lot to offer, or so I feel. I know very little about him, but I don't think I'll forget his performance at the Vanguard.

How about you? Ever heard of him? Seen Him? Met him? Played with him? If so, post a comment. I'd love to hear what others have to say of him. The field is wide open.

1 comment:

  1. Nice doublée: Robert Glasper (you have to see him live; no doubt !!) and Masabumi Kikuchi (you have to listen to Re-confirmation, OST Hairpin Circus (A Short Story For Image), Collaboration Part 1 or Poo-Sun!)

    This is just a "cri du coeur" nothing more. Enjoy fusion jazz and music overall !

    PS. I am looking for "Re-confirmation" LP (sold out on cdinjapan...). If you have it, please post it as comment of "Various in Japan" http://neverenoughrhodes.blogspot.fr/

    Gildas

    ReplyDelete